This velvety soup has added texture from sun dried tomatoes and crumbled feta cheese.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 heaping teaspoon ground cumin
- A pinch of dried red pepper flakes
- 2 1/4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Sea salt
- 3 ounces feta, crumbled
- 5 1/2 ounces Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes (optional), to serve
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for a few minutes until soft and glossy, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, cumin and red pepper flakes and cook for a minute longer. Add sweet potato, and continue to cook for another couple of minutes, stirring frequently. Pour in the stock and season with salt, bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, by which time the potato should be very tender. Puree the soup in batches in the blender. Return it to the saucepan and season with a little more salt, if necessary.
Combine the feta and yogurt in a bowl and dollop a spoonful on top of each bowl of soup. Scatter a teaspoon of chopped sun-dried tomatoes on top, if using.
From “Soup, Glorious Soup” by Annie Bell