The COOC is a trade association with the mission of encouraging the consumption of certified California extra virgin olive oil through education, outreach and communications.
The COOC is committed to upholding the highest standards within the olive oil industry through its Seal Certification Program.
COOC Quick Facts
- In March 2020, the COOC marked 28 years since its establishment by a group of farmers in 1992.
- The COOC has over 300 members including growers and producers, service providers, retailers and other supporters of the California olive oil industry.
- Growers and producers make up the greatest number of members.
- The COOC represents over 90% of all olive oil production in California.
- The COOC Taste Panel, founded in 1998, certifies approximately 400 oils per year.
- The COOC Taste Panel was the first sensory panel established for olive oil in the Western Hemisphere. The panel celebrated its 20th year in 2018.
- As of January 2019, there are over 41,000 acres planted in California for the production of extra virgin olive oil.
- There are over 400 growers/producers of olive oil in California.
- Over 75 olive varieties are grown in California for olive oil production, resulting in proprietary blends unique to California.
- It is estimated that the fall 2020 harvest will produce 2.25 million gallons.
- There are over 45 mills in California with more under construction and/or expansion.
California Olive Oil Council
801 Camelia Street, Suite D
Berkeley, California 94710
COOC 2020 Board of Directors
President: Carlos Machado, Agbiolab
Vice President: Chris Calvert, Ciarlo Fruit & Nut
Treasurer: John Mesrobian, The Mill at Kings River
Secretary: Kathryn Tomajan, Fat Gold
Rachelle Bross, Olivaia’s Ola
Luisito Cercaci, Sunrise Olive Ranch
Julie Coldani, Calivirgin
Ciriaco Chavez, Boundary Bend
Sara Feinberg, The Apothecarium
Shaana Rahman, Boccabella Farms
Vincent Ricchiuti, Enzo Olive Oil Co.
Executive Director: Patricia King
Marketing Manager: Wendy Winters
Operations Manager: Max Kirwin
Taste Panel Leader: Dean Wilkinson
Intern: Milan Adaea Zavolta