Prep Time: 25 mins / Cook Time: 20 mins / Total Time 45 mins /Yields 12 cakes
Citrus Olive Oil Mini Cakes
- 1-1/4 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cups California COOC-Certified extra-virgin olive oil
- juice and zest of one Meyer lemon
- 2 tbsp tangerine (or if not available use orange juice)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups plus 2 tbsp cake flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
Simple Lemon Sugar Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- zest of 1 Meyer lemon, finely minced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour miniature cake pans. **This recipe fills 10-12 miniature cake pans – I used a miniature Bundt pan – or about 6 cups worth.
- In a stand-up mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together the sugar and olive oil on medium-high speed until well-blended, about 2 minutes. Add the zest, juice, eggs and vanilla and continue to mix until creamy, another minute or two.
- Turn the mixer down to low speed and add the flour, baking soda, salt, buttermilk and yogurt. Return to medium-high speed and mix until well-combined, about a minute. Divide the batter evenly into the mini cake forms, being careful to only fill the molds halfway full. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and carefully invert the cakes from the pan. Let cool on a wire baking rack for 5-10 minutes.
- While the cakes are cooling, whisk together the powdered sugar and milk until smooth and fully-combined. Stir in the vanilla extract and lemon zest. Spoon over the warm cakes.
- Find the prettiest plates you have to present them on and serve.
Recipe (slightly adapted) and Photo credit: forkkniveswoon.com