Thank you for your interest in the California Olive Oil Council. We are happy to act as a resource for media and press. If you wish to speak to a representative of the council, please contact us or call our main office at (888) 718-9830. You may also request our newest press kit by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
About the COOC
The COOC is a trade association with the mission of encouraging the consumption of certified California extra virgin olive oil through education, outreach and communications.
The COOC is committed to upholding the highest standards within the olive oil industry through its Seal Certification Program.
- In March 2019, the COOC marked 27 years since its establishment by a group of farmers in 1992.
- The COOC has over 300 members including growers and producers, service providers, retailers and other supporters of the California olive oil industry.
- Growers and producers make up the greatest number of members.
- The COOC represents over 90% of all olive oil production in California.
- The COOC Taste Panel, founded in 1998, certifies approximately 400 oils per year.
- As of January 2019, there are over 41,000 acres planted in California for the production of extra virgin olive oil.
- There are over 400 growers/producers of olive oil in California.
- Over 75 olive varieties are grown in California for olive oil production resulting in proprietary blends unique to California.
- It is estimated that the fall 2020 harvest will produce 2.5 million gallons. The fall 2019 harvest produced approximately 3.63 million gallons of extra virgin olive oil.
- There are over 45 mills in California with more under construction and/or expansion.
- The COOC Taste Panel, founded in 1998, was the first sensory panel established for olive oil in the Western Hemisphere. The panel celebrated its 20th year in 2018.
COOC Educational Videos
Click below to watch each video to learn more about the COOC, the olive oil industry in California, how extra virgin olive oil is produced, and get great new ideas and tips to choose an extra virgin olive oil and use it at home in your kitchen.
Olive Oil Production in California
Additionally, the COOC has generic footage related to each of the topics above available for use. If you are a media representative and are looking for footage to complement your news report, please send us an inquiry.
COOC: March 2019
COOC: May 2018
COOC: October 2017
California Wildfires Not Expected to Impact Record Olive Oil Production Year
COOC: January 2017
California Olive Oil Council Marks 25th Anniversary as Industry Leader
COOC: October 2015
Record-Breaking Production Forecast for 2015-16
COOC: April 2011
Tips for Buying Real Extra Virgin Olive Oil
US Davis Olive Center Press Release: April 2011
Quality of Imported Extra Virgin Olive Oil Often Unreliable, Study Finds