Poached Leeks with Extra Virgin Olive Oil
A simple and incredible tasty dish using olive oil and this cooking technique. Poach and serve warm as a side or add to salads, pasta, or an omelet.
- 4 fresh leeks, cut in half and washed
- 1 star anise
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2-3 whole cloves
- 1/2-1 cup COOC-certified extra virgin olive oil
- In a large skillet add the fresh leeks, making sure they have dried thoroughly after washing. Make sure they are arranged in a single layer for even cooking. Add the spices and fresh herbs. Feel free to experiment and use your choice of flavors.
- Add the cold olive oil to the cold pan.
- Place the skillet on stove and heat to a very low simmer. Do not leave, unattended. You may want to use a thermometer to gauge the olive oil. You want to be between 140-160 degrees.
- Cook until tender 10-15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Can be served warm or cooled.
- Refrigerate covered for up to one week.