yield: 4 SERVINGS
- 3 plantains, tops and bottoms trimmed
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp toasted, crushed cumin seeds, or 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 sm shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves and tender stems
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Leaving the plantains whole with their skin on, cut each plantain in half down the middle, lengthwise.
- Place the plantains on a baking sheet, cut side up. Drizzle with EVOO and season with salt and black pepper. Roast until the plantains are tender and a skewer or knife inserted goes all the way through, about 40 minutes. Broil for 4 additional minutes to lightly brown the surface.
- While the plantains roast, in a small bowl, combine the cumin, honey, lime zest, juice, and cracked black pepper. Whisk ingredients together, and stir in the olive oil. Add in the minced shallots, and season with salt and black pepper.
- To serve, peel the skin off the roasted plantains, spoon the vinaigrette over the top, and garnish with a scattering of cilantro leaves.