yield: MAKES 2 SERVINGS total time: 20 MIN
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup packed fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2/3 cup COOC certified EVOO
- 8 large scallops, room temperature
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons COOC certified EVOO, for cooking
- 1/2 cup microgreens (such as arugula or basil), for garnish (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add basil and parsley and blanch for 30 seconds or until bright green. Drain immediately and immerse herbs in an ice water bath to halt the cooking process. Once cool, drain well, squeezing out as much water from the herbs as possible.
- Place blanched herbs in the bowl of a food processor along with garlic, salt, and lemon juice. Pulse until coarsely chopped. With the processor on low speed, drizzle in olive oil until smooth.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmery. Pat scallops dry (especially if using previously-frozen scallops, it is important to get them as dry as possible) and season with salt and pepper. Arrange scallops in hot skillet so they do not touch. Cook for 2 minutes until bottom is golden, then gently flip with a pair of tongs and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes more. Do not overcook.
- Place a dollop of pistou on each plate. Top with seared scallops and microgreens (if desired).