Photo By Alex Lau
yield: 4 SERVINGS
- 1/2 cup COOC certified EVOO, plus more for drizzling
- 8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 bunches collard greens, ribs and stems removed, leaves torn into 2″ pieces
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon (or more) apple cider vinegar
- Generous pinch of sugar
- Heat 1/2 cup EVOO in a large saucepan over medium. Cook garlic and red pepper flakes, stirring often, until garlic is golden, about 4 minutes.
- Add collard greens to saucepan a handful at a time, stirring until each addition is wilted before adding the next. Season with salt and add 1 cup water. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat so mixture is at a very gentle simmer. Cover and cook, occasionally removing lid to stir, until greens are tender and very dark green, 1–1 1/2 hours.
- Let cool slightly, then stir vinegar and sugar into greens. Transfer to a serving bowl and drizzle with more EVOO and a splash more of vinegar if desired.
All images and text Epicurious (adapted by COOC).